Wednesday, January 1, 2020

How I Became a Communist Sympathizer


How I Became a Communist Sympathizer
An Interview with Wolf Larsen
from the book Capitalism Sucks!

Question:  So when did you get interested in politics?
Answer:  The first time I remember being interested in politics was when I was about six years old.  I was in Chicago.  I was watching a building on the street in front of me burn down.  It seemed like buildings were always burning down on the streets in front of our house – much of it was arson – and I could see it all from the window.  The buildings in front of our house were part of the ghetto.  Anyway, as I watched yet another building burning down I decided I wanted to be the mayor of Chicago, so I could change things.

Q. So you wanted to be mayor of your hometown of Chicago at the age of six – how come you never ran for political office then?
A.  Later, when I became older, that is when I became a teenager, I became disgusted with politicians and I changed my mind.  I decided I never ever wanted to be a politician!

Q. So you're saying you'll never run for political office?
A.  If I ran for political office it would be so that I could talk about the issues facing working-class people and poor people in our country.  If I won, I would immediately resign.

Q. Well that would be a first, somebody resigning the minute they won office.  Really, that's what you would do?
A.  If I ran for political office it would be to talk about racism, or rather the racist oppression of black people, the oppression of gays and women and immigrants, and especially the oppression of working-class people and poor people of all colors.  In addition, I would speak out against all these wars.  And if I won I would resign – immediately.  The reason I would resign is that you can't change the system by just electing another politician.  We have to throw the capitalist system in the garbage can – we need a workers revolution.

Q. You sound like a communist.  Are you a communist?
A.  I've been told that I'm not a communist because I'm not a member of any political group.  I don't speak for any political group or tendency.  However, I do sympathize with the October Revolution of 1917.  I sympathize with the politics of Marx, Engels, Lenin, and Trotsky.  I have known communists and have admired them.  I do not consider the official so-called quote unquote Communist Party to be communist.  They act more like some left-wing auxiliary of the Democrats. 

Q. So you're not a communist, but you sympathize with the politics of communism?
A.  Yes, that's true.

Q. How long have you been a communist sympathizer?
A.  Ever since I was a teenager.  Events occurred that made me disgusted with capitalism and capitalist politicians.  I worked for the political campaign of Harold Washington when I was quite young – Harold Washington was the first black mayor of Chicago.  I think I was 11 years old, who knows, maybe I was the youngest volunteer in his political campaign.  Anyway, after he was elected nothing changed – or rather things changed but only for the worse.  Chicago begin to hemorrhage good paying union blue-collar jobs, of course it would have happened regardless of whether the mayor was black or white.  It was then that I begin to realize that it didn't matter who was in office.  The problem is that the capitalist system is inherently awful, and that the capitalist system is a piece of garbage that has to be thrown away.  But this is only one factor amongst many that led me to reject the Democratic Party and to move politically leftwards.

Q. What were some of the other factors that led you to reject the Democrats and move leftwards as you put it?
A.  Tens of thousands of steel workers losing their jobs at the stroke of some CEO's pen – that was a huge factor in helping me realize that the capitalist system had to go.

Q. Was your family economically affected by the mass layoffs in your hometown?
A.  Yes.  My family designed machinery for Chicago's industry.  However, compared to the steel workers losing their jobs – well for them it was much worse. 

Q. You mentioned that there were many factors that caused you to move leftwards politically as a young person, could you discuss those other factors as well?
A.  I grew up in a neighborhood that was completely surrounded by the black ghetto.  It was not a white enclave – our neighborhood was racially integrated, and still is.  However, being surrounded by poverty from the youngest age definitely helped me see that something was seriously wrong with the status quo.  At first, I believed as a child it was possible to reform the system to help the poor and disadvantaged.  But when I reached adolescence I realized I was wrong.  Before I became an adolescent I had the politics of my parents – liberal Democrat politics – but with adolescence comes independent thinking, and when I started to think for myself I realized that the Democrats were full of shit just like the Republicans.

Q. So being surrounded by poverty as well as mass layoffs in the steel industry in your hometown and dissatisfaction with politicians drove you to the left – anything else?
A.  When I was a teenager I began to devour books.  At first, I devoured all kinds of books on history and biographies and stuff like that.  As time went on I began reading Lenin, Marx, and Engels.  I was bored in class so I would often read a book under the desk while the teacher went on about whatever he was going on about.  Reading was another factor – a very important factor – that moved me to the left.

Q. And what if anything did you do with your new leftist ideas?
A.  At first nothing – I just read and read.  I also discussed and argued politics with others, that sort of thing.  Then something horrible happened that pushed me into political activism.

Q. What was that horrible thing that helped push you into political activism?
A.  In May 1985 Wilson Goode, the first black mayor of Philadelphia, murdered a dozen black activists in cold blood and managed to burn down over 60 homes in a black working-class community in the process.  I thought that was really something – the politicians weren't content with bombing innocent people in other countries – now they were bombing Americans.  Who bombs their own country?  And what irritated me all the more is that most of the white liberals and black nationalists were not even outraged about it – because a black politician did it – a black Democrat.  If a white Republican had murdered a dozen black activists on Striver's Row and burned down over 60 homes on Striver's Row in the process you know all those black nationalists and white liberals would be outraged about it – and for good reason.  But if a black Democrat murders a dozen black activists it's politically correct – that's disgusting!  If a black Democrat is responsible for over 60 homes in a black working-class neighborhood burning to the ground then the white liberals and black nationalists don't say a thing.  That's disgusting!  I was so disgusted with white liberalism and black nationalism at that point that I became open-minded to left politics.  And shortly afterwards I came across a group waving red flags and selling newspapers.  They said they were communists.  I bought their newspaper and later I became involved with them.

Q. What do you mean you became involved with them?
A.  I sold newspapers that were supposedly communist.  I talked politics with people – a lot of people.  I marched into Marquette Park Chicago which is a white enclave with a couple of other hundred people chanting "Death to the Klan" when the Ku Klux Klan decided to march there.  I went to the San Joaquin Valley in California to organize farm workers into a so-called red union.  In retrospect, I now realize that group was not communist.  I now realize that so-called red unions are bullshit.  But I was 16 years old and I didn't know any better.

Q. So your politics have changed?
A.  Yes.  That first group I was active with was Stalinist.  I didn't completely understand the differences between Stalinism and Trotskyism at the time.  After all I was only 16 years old.  Later I rejected Stalinism.  The Stalinists are too uptight about sex!  Their politics are similar to the politics of the Stalinist bureaucracy in the Soviet Union – which is enough to make one want to vomit!  Trotskyists are more like the original Bolsheviks that led the revolution in Russia in 1917.  Trotskyists defend gay rights, they support women's right to an abortion, they're fine with free love, etc. The fact that many of the new-"left"-overs have become such sexual Puritans made the Trotskyists seem pretty cool to me.  The Trotskyists also defended the Soviet Union militarily against the United States, and since we were living in the United States during the period of the Cold War I thought that was pretty brave!  It made sense to me.  The Stalinist bureaucracy had to go – but not the Soviet Union – not the worker's state itself.

Q. But isn't that irrelevant now that the Soviet Union has collapsed?
A.  No.  Because the same groups that were too weak to defend the Soviet Union during the Cold War will be too weak to take principled stands on issues both in the present and in the future.  I remember when I was a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison that at rallies people would be chanting "Let the communist speak!  Let the communist speak!" because the liberals never wanted to let us speak out in opposition to the Cold War.

Q. Really?  The liberals supported the Cold War?
A. Yes they did.  The liberals were firmly committed to the Democrats and the Democrats were firmly committed to the Cold War.  The Democrats and liberals were just as anti-Communist or almost as anti-Communist as the right-wing conservative Republicans that they were constantly criticizing.  Liberals hate to have their politics attacked from the left!  Liberals often trample upon the free speech rights of those who criticize them from the left – at least that was my experience when I was politically active.

Q. So you're not politically active anymore?
A.  No, but maybe that will change.

Q. I understand that you're a writer.  Could you talk about some of the other books you've written.
A. All of the books I've written so far have been very different than this one.  Only some of those books are conventional meaning that they have a traditional plot.  Two of my books are mostly autobiographical those books are Unalaska Alaska and Travel around the World?  Why Not?  Then I have a lot of other books which are neither conventional nor autobiographical they are experimental works of prose, poetry, theater, and whatnot.  These are often works of imagination.  They are not realistic.  They're meant to take the reader into a kind of fantasy world.  They're meant to help the reader temporarily escape the drudgery and realities of life.  As much as possible I try to make these works fun for the reader.  However, I do not live in a vacuum.  The horrible nightmare of the world we live in today to some extent affects what I write.  So some of my creative works have a nightmarish quality to them because the world we live in is a nightmare. 

Q. Why do you say the world is a nightmare?
A.  I've traveled to over 50 countries.  I've seen a lot of suffering.  On top of that there is simply too much war.  And it's scary to think that the United States and Russia still have huge stockpiles of nuclear weapons that threaten the human race with extinction.  It's a nightmare.  There are so many beautiful things in the world, but there are a lot of problems in the world as well.  There are so many things that must be changed.  Change will come from the working-class.  The working class has the power to change the world.


Buy the book Capitalism Sucks on Amazon or other online retailers, 
or just scroll down to read Capitalism Sucks for free.  
You can also click on whatever chapter you wish listed
in the upper right hand column of this page.

https://www.amazon.com/Capitalism-Sucks-Wolf-Larsen-ebook/dp/B07957QMB2/ref=pd_cart_vw_crc_1_1/133-6414368-2723546?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07957QMB2&pd_rd_r=32b2442c-fff8-4b69-96af-1cfd86469abe&pd_rd_w=Gd4sn&pd_rd_wg=rCPML&pf_rd_p=aa9f3def-b8ac-4b15-aa4b-c6a8313c2f5e&pf_rd_r=88NHFM8Z3Y80CGPG050Q&psc=1&refRID=88NHFM8Z3Y80CGPG050Q

No comments:

Post a Comment